Capitol Piazza, part of Capitol Singapore opens its doors officially to the public in May 2015 after some extensive refurbishment/redevelopment since the site was acquired by Perennial Real Estate Holdings and Chesham Properties Pte Ltd in October 2010. The 1.43 ha site will yield a Gross Floor Area (GFA) of 552,016 sqft of which 25% has been set aside for a 157-room luxury 6-star hotel run by famed hotel chain Patina Capitol Singapore housed within Capital Building and Stamford House. Capital Theatre, built in 1929 by the Namazie family who were businessmen and lawyers of Persian origin, will now be the largest single screen cinema with a seating capacity of 900 and theatre can now host arts/film festivals.
Capitol Piazza, comprises 3 retail components with a net settable area of approximately 131,202 sqft; Arcade – blending in with the street scape to take advantage of increased foot fall from North Bridge road and Stamford road; Galleria – the al fresco component within an air-conditioned environment between Capitol Building and Capitol Theatre to enhance its lifestyle offerings to visitors and tourists alike; Neue – A suite of retail and F&B brands housed within Capitol Piazza and its basement levels. Eden Residences, a 39-unit luxury residential development spanning over 10 levels(level 3-12) sits on top of the 4-storey Capitol Piazza, reportedly sold with prices well over $2,900 psf boasting panoramic views towards Marina Bay Sands completes the integrated development in the much sought after civic district of Singapore.
The famous Four Seasons Chinese Restaurant (#02-27/29 Capitol Piazza) from London’s Bayswater was brought in by Royal China Group. I have had the good fortune of patronizing the London outlet at 84 Queensway, London W2 3RL on a cold winter some years ago after being much recommendation by a gourmet friend of mine. There was a perpetual queue when I visited in London, and the duck was warmed in microwave oven before they were served. To put it succinctly, mouth-watering was definitely an understatement. It remains to be seen if the Singapore outlet will produce an equal authentic taste.
The other brand which caught my attention was Carmina(#01-66 Capitol Piazza). The shoemaker hailed from Mallorca, Spain where Meermin shoes are also produced are well known for their excellent quality good-year welted shoes. As a shoe lover, I patronized their stores in Paris (Avenue De I’Opera) and also their outlets in Spain (Barcelona and Madrid) and found their Cordovan shoes really tough and durable. I wouldn’t put them in the same league as John Lobb or Edward Green or Gaziano & Girling (G&G) but it’s certainly in a class of its own, better than 99% of all shoes being sold in Singapore.
Pho Tai, a Vietnamese restaurant located on B2 of Capitol Piazza serves authentic Vietnamese Pho. The broth requires many hours to bring out the taste. Jean Te, a Chinese-Vietnamese, the owner of the restaurant spent the last thirty years operating a Vietnamese restaurant in Paris decided to try his hands at opening one in Singapore. The outlet is close to 2,000 sqft, beautifully decorated with a blend of modern and traditional decor makes it conducive to have a hearty meal after a busy morning.
Capitol Piazza – Noteworthy facts about the newly refurbished Capitol Singapore
- There is a direct subterranean passage link that connects City Hall MRT
- Ample carparking spaces 350 lots with 2 car spaces allocated for each apartment owner.
- The smallest unit in Eden Residences will be approximately 2,100 sqft with a minimum of three bedrooms.
- The largest being penthouse unit is a duplex which will be approximately 6,470 sqft with five bedrooms, swimming pool and a study.
- Each apartment comes fitted with Poggenpohl cabinets, a sub-zero refrigerator and Miele kitchen equipment (we all know Miele is one of the most expensive brands in the market), including both gas and induction hob and a hood.
- Bedrooms will have Poliform wardrobes, and the washrooms, Hansgrohe, Duravit and other exclusive fittings.
- The Patina Capitol hotel room sizes will be 40,45 and 65 sqm and will be in levels 2 to 4 of Capitol Building and Stamford House.
- Hotel’s lobby and all day dining restaurant will on the ground level of Stamford House.
More than 80% of the retail space has been leased till date. I am sure space will be filled up completely in no time, especially when Capitol theatre starts playing centre stage to some nice and tidy world class performance.
HOME | Capitol Piazza – Old Historical Site with a New Life